BEng in Mechanical Engineering
About the Programme
The Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering (ME) at GUtech is tailored to the requirements of the Sultanate of Oman and the wider region, yet it draws on state-of-the-art expertise accumulated at RWTH Aachen, Germany, the affiliate University of GUtech.
The programme places a strong emphasis on the employability of GUtech’s graduates. Many elements of the programme are therefore accomplished in cooperation with local and international industry partners.
In addition, essential “soft skills” such as critical and creative thinking, life-long learning, intercultural communication and teamwork are integrated throughout the curriculum, in order to give graduates all of the skills they need to become entrepreneurs, should they wish, boosting job creation in the Sultanate and elsewhere.
There is a huge demand for Engineers, not just in the Sultanate of Oman, but also in the wider region as a whole. The needs and requirements of industry were taken into account when developing the Engineering programmes at GUtech, and new emerging needs and requirements are regularly taken into account with annual reviews of the programmes. Overall, GUtech produces high quality graduates who meet the needs of Omani and International Industry.
Our Bachelor programmes are designed to enable graduates to start working in the industry without further education; most graduates start working in industry shortly after graduation, while some continue their study, often by completing a Master’s programme in Europe or elsewhere. Whilst the programmes have been designed to meet the requirements of the Sultanate of Oman and the wider region, some graduates have started their career by working abroad for companies in Europe.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Engineering program in Mechanical Engineering will have received an interdisciplinary education, focusing on the knowledge of fundamental theoretical concepts as well as the development of applied competences required for manufacturing, machine construction and development, and business management.
This well-rounded education allows graduates to work as Mechanical Engineers in a multitude of areas within Industry or Government, in fields such design, production planning, sales and distribution, management and organisation, and research and development.
Opportunities for further studies
Mechanical Engineering graduates will be able to progress towards achieving their Chartered Engineer status or proceed with post-graduate education within the Sultanate of Oman, as well as in Europe, America, Australia and elsewhere.
Skills and attributes gained on graduation
The generic attributes and skills that graduates are expected to develop during their undergraduate studies are:
- Ethics – The graduates have developed awareness and holistic understanding of their role as responsible citizens in an increasingly globalised context.
- Critical thinking and problem solving – The graduates are able to engage real-world problems in a theoretically informed, rigorous, and questioning manner. They are able to devise solutions, select the most appropriate one, implement it, and reflect on its performance.
- Creative thinking – The graduates are able to think laterally and develop creative ideas.
- Individual and team work – The graduates have the capability to work effectively alone or in a team, to be self-directed, and to show independent judgment.
- Communication – The graduates are effective communicators, using oral, written, and electronic communication skills. They can interact confidently in a variety of settings, with a range of people from both genders, individually and in team situations, from peers to the wider community.
- Life-long-learning – The graduates appreciate that learning is continuous and have the ability to continue learning throughout life. They have developed a variety of approaches to learning, including self-directed, collaborative and self-reflective processes.
Graduates from the BSc in International Business & Service Management will also have developed the following programme-specific attributes and skills:
- Knowledge and understanding of Engineering – Graduates have gained a broad and sound knowledge in mathematics, science and engineering, enabling them to understand the phenomena characteristic to mechanical engineering. The graduates have also gained an understanding for the broader multi-disciplinary context of engineering sciences.
- Engineering analysis – Graduates are able to identify, formulate and solve problems particular to mechanical engineering based on the application of established scientific methods; Graduates are also able to analyse products, processes and methods used in their discipline based on scientific facts; They know how to select suitable methods of analysing, modelling, simulating and optimising and apply them with a high degree of competence.
- Engineering design – Graduates have developed the ability to design machinery, devices, programs or processes according to specified requirements; They have developed a practically oriented understanding of design methods and the ability to apply them in a competent manner.
- Investigations and assessment – Graduates are able to carry out literature research and know how to use data bases and other sources of information for their work; They have developed the skills to plan and carry out suitable experiments, interpret the data and draw suitable conclusions.
- Engineering practice – Graduates have developed the competencies to transfer new findings in engineering and natural sciences to industrial and commercial production under consideration of economic, ecologic and safety requirements; Graduates are able to plan, control and monitor processes and to develop and operate systems and equipment; They are also able to independently consolidate the knowledge gained and are aware of the non-technical effects of engineering activities.
The Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering is an eight semester (four year) programme. It uses integrated, practical approaches in order for students to gain a broad knowledge in the required natural sciences and their practical use, focusing on Machine Tools and Design, Production Technology, Control and Automation, and Material Science.
The first two years provide students with essential knowledge and skills in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Aided Design and Programming, and Engineering Drawing; the basics of Mechanical Engineering. The remainder of the degree emphasises the use and application of these fundamentals in both industry and research, locally in the Sultanate and worldwide.
The programme is taught in English and it includes written and oral tests, an Industrial Internship and a Bachelor’s thesis, which can include experimental work. Students are also expected to develop basic communication skills in German.
|Type of Certificate||Does this apply to you?||You will be admitted to:|
|Omani General Education Diploma (GED)||Pass in General Education Diploma with|
‘65%’ in Pure Mathematics and English, and
Pass in Physics or Chemistry, and
|Academic Foundation Programme|
|Indian Certificate||Pass in:|
– Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) with an average below 70%, or
– Indian State Board Examinations with an average below 70%, or
– High School Certificate (12 years of schooling).
Pass in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry at grade 12, with at least 60%.
|Academic Foundation Programme|
|Indian Certificate||Pass in CBSE or ISBE or High School Certificate with an average of 70% or above,|
Pass in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry at grade 12, with at least 70%.
Academic IELS 6.0 in overall (TEOFL 76 – iBT).
|GCE Certificate (AS and A-level)||Pass in 4 subjects at AS-level and 2 subjects at A-level,|
Pass in mathematics at GCSE level,
Pass in either physics or chemistry at GCSE Level.
|Academic Foundation Programme|
|GCE Certificate (AS and A-level)||In addition to the above:|
Pass in mathematics at AS-level, with at least ‘C’,
Pass in both physics and chemistry at GCSE Level, with at least ‘C’.
|International Baccalaureate||IB Certificate or Diploma, but not fulfilling the requirements for direct entry into BSc.||Academic Foundation Programme|
|International Baccalaureate||Pass in IB diploma or certificate, with at least 24 points,|
At least (3) points in any type of mathematics at HL or (4) points in any type of
mathematics at SL, but not mathematical studies.
Pass in both physics and chemistry at grade 10 level.
Recommended Study Plan
Mathematics I: Calculus
Mathematics II: Linear Algebra
Introduction to Programming
Project Work I
Life Skills I
Mathematics III: Advanced Calculus
Mathematics IV: Numerical Mathematics
Introduction to CAD
Material Science I
Introduction to Mechanical Engineering
Life Skills IV
Material Science II
Machine Design I
Heat and Mass Transfer
Life Skills V
Machine Design II
Control and Automation
Measurement Techniques Laboratory
Project Work III
Entrepreneurship for Engineers
Control and Automation Laboratory
LibraryA to Z index Career Email MyGUtech Drive to GUtech
ELAF affiliated to GUtech