The Faculty of Sciences at the German University of Technology offers a three-year research-based Doctoral programme in Applied Geosciences. The programme is tailored to the requirements of Oman and the region, building on state-of-the-art expertise accumulated from running the Master programme of Applied Geosciences at GUtech. When completed, your award would state, PhD in Applied Geosciences.
We welcome full and part-time, local and international applicants who aspire to impact society through research in any of the key areas of importance to the future of Oman and the region: energy, water, and mineral resources. The PhD programme at GUtech is open to candidates with accredited Master of Science degrees in relevant fields of study and adequate industry experience. Many elements of the programme will be accomplished in cooperation with local and international partners from universities and companies. Through close interaction with your supervisor(s), you will produce your academic thesis in the English language. The core of your thesis must relate to the scientific fields covered by applied geosciences. With an outstanding quality of supervision and in-depth feedback, your research results have to be original and must demonstrate acquired skills to undertake original research.
Before a student can admit to a PhD programme, he/she needs the agreement from a professor of the faculty to supervise a specific research topic. We encourage candidates from the industry to propose industry-relevant applied research topics. Professors from the faculty will announce regularly externally funded research assistant positions suitable for graduates without industry experience. In any case, the research topic requires the formal approval of the Dean of the Faculty.
Admission into GUtech’s PhD in Applied Geosciences is open for Master degree graduates. If you meet our academic and language requirements, you are invited to apply online.
All of the following conditions have to be met:
- Master degree in a related field (e.g., geosciences, geology, physics, petroleum engineering, environmental sciences, …) from an accredited college or university. The certificate has to be attested by the Ministry of Higher Education in Oman.
- Research approval form signed by the Dean of the Faculty
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (based on a 4-point scale) of the Master degree is required. This includes
- 3.00 to 4.00 on a 4-point scale or equivalent grade (without work experience).
- 2.5 to 2.99 on a 4-point scale or equivalent grade (two or more years of work experience in the related field).
GUtech will decide about the eligibility of applicants to the PhD programme based on academic and work certificates as well as personal interviews.
- Minimum IELTS 6.0 (or equivalent * )
In addition, an interview may be required to verify adequate English skills.
*Equivalences include: TOEFL IBT 76, PTE 56, CAE 169, IB/IGCSE/A-Level/GCE/CBSE/ISBE Certificate