The German University of Technology in Oman (GUtech) is committed to a healthy, safe and secure working environment for all interested parties, such as employees, students, contractors, third parties and stakeholders. The university is also committed to ensure that it minimizes the impact of its activities on the surrounding environment. Procedures and training programs will be developed to achieve compliance with all statutory and regulatory requirements applicable within the Sultanate of Oman. Furthermore, the requirements of international standards (OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001) and national standards issued by the Oman Society for Petroleum Services (OPAL) shall also be covered.
A comprehensive Health, Safety, Security and Environmental (HSSE) Management System will ensure that GUtech remains compliant with regulatory and statutory requirements by the following measures:
- Management of HSSE aspects by the top management with the same priority as primary business objectives;
- Setting of objectives and targets, which are monitored at senior management level;
- Provision of adequate resources to undertake the identified and necessary HSSE measures;
- Assignment of a HSSE Manager;
- Clear definition of responsibilities with regards to HSSE;
- Provision of required training to all parties with regards to potential Health, Safety, Environmental hazards and potential Security threats;
- Hazards identification and control to minimize the risk of accidents, injuries and occupational illnesses;
- Reporting, recording and investigation of all incidents to identify root causes and prevent recurrence;
- Specific procedures for operational control of occupational HSSE Risks;
- Reduction of waste and minimization of pollution, including the effective use of energy and resources;
- Strict control of chemicals and/or hazardous materials, controlling transport, handling, storage and disposal;
- Procedure for housekeeping and hygiene to ensure a salubrious environment;
- Periodical revision of the HSSE Manual and the Policy statement to ensure continuous improvements and compliance with new regulations.
- Provision of adequate and proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and training for their correct use;
- Minimize the potential security threat by control measures, code of ethics and public relations.
All employees, students, contractors, and visitors are required to be committed to this Policy and perform their tasks and duties accordingly.